Medication | Supplements
Cat supplements can support your cat in a natural way in various situations. Supplements usually consists of (a combination of) specific nutrients, vitamins, minerals or herbs. If your cat gets a good quality cat food and does well, supplements are not necessary. However, in certain situations, your cat might need some extra’s.
Cat supplements: which supplement is best for my cat?
As an online animal pharmacy, we are happy to advise you about cat supplements. To make the right choice from the wide range of supplements available, consider the following three factors:
- The problem or condition of your cat: each part of the body works differently and needs specific nutrients, vitamins and minerals. That is why cat supplements are formulated differently for each condition. Below you can read about some conditions and available cat supplements.
- How the supplement is administered: Not every cat is a fan of tablets or capsules. Fortunately, some supplements are available as drops, as a paste or a powder which can be administered to the food. So in most cases, a suitable and easy to administer supplement can be found for every cat.
- Other conditions and medication: Some supplements do not go well with other conditions or medicines. We state this on our website for supplements of which this is known. Furthermore we advise you to read the instructions carefully before use, to check when the product should not be used. When in doubt, always consult your vet.
Cat vitamins are ideal for your cat during a physically demanding period. Such as recovery after surgery or illness, but also during pregnancy and lactation. Nutri-Plus Cat is a tasty and energy-rich multivitamin paste that can be used for this, just like Vetoquinol Care Energy Gel. Nutribound Cat can be diluted with water or given directly over the (diet) food.
Taurine supplement for cats
In cats that do not eat, it is very important to prevent a shortage of the essential amino acid taurine, which can lead to serious problems. To break this circle, it might be necessary to force-feed the cat with a syringe or bottle. Medicare powder has been specially developed for this and is diluted with water to a liquid food. Also the above mentioned cat supplements with vitamins help to regain appetite in cats that don't want to eat.
Cat joint supplements
For older cats with joint problems such as stiffness or difficulty jumping on something, cat supplements with glucosamin such as Flexadin Plus can help keep the joints as flexible as possible. Joint supplements are also useful in younger cats recovering from joint surgery.
Cat supplements for older cats
Cholodin cat has been specially developed for older cats with mental and physical problems due to aging. Think of dementia and other complaints of the nervous system, skin and coat problems and liver problems.
Cat supplements for anxiety and stress
During periods of fear or stress in cats, such as a move, a new animal in the house or fireworks in December, nutritional supplements can have a calming effect. The most famous calming supplements for cats are Zylkène and Telizen. Both have a calming effect without making your cat drowsy. These cat supplements can also be useful in behavioral therapy.
Cat supplements for skin and coat
It is important to know that skin and coat problems in cats can have many causes, including fleas, fungi, mites and allergies. Your vet can investigate and rule out the various causes step by step. After all, if the cause is identified, it can be treated in the best - and most permanent - way.
In addition, cat supplements for the coat and skin can aid in recovery. PUUR Derma is a herbal supplement that can provide relief for irritated skin. Furthermore, the essential fatty acids omega 3 and 6, which are found in fish oil, can help the skin and coat to recover. These are incorporated in liquid supplements such as Megaderm, Dermazyme omega and Vetoquinol Care Omega 3-6. If you prefer to give capsules, Viacutan Plus is a good choice.
Cat supplements for gastrointestinal problems and hairballs
Many cat supplements have been developed for gastrointestinal complaints in cats. For diarrhoea Diarsanyl Plus is one of the best-known supplements to absorb harmful substances and to calm the intestines. Iso-Gel is a natural supplement that provides relief for both diarrhea and constipation.
For hairballs, specific cat supplements such as Kat-a-Lax and Lax-a-Past are available that can help your cat get rid of them.
Probiotics for cats
Probiotics are also considered as food supplements. Cat probiotics such as PUUR Probiotic support intestinal function in cats with diarrhoea or a bloated stomach. In addition, probiotics are ideal to restore the intestinal flora after a course of antibiotics.
Other cat supplements
There are several food supplements for cats that support specific organs. These cat supplements are best given in consultation with your vet.
- Bladder supplements: In case of cystitis without a demonstrable cause (idiopathic cystitis), Cystease tablets can help to calm the cat's bladder. Stress can also influence this, which is why it is also good to think about supplements for anxiety and stress.
- Kidney supplements: In kidney failure, the supplements Ipakitine and Pronefra can support kidney function and help prevent further kidney damage. If your cat has a low potassium level due to the kidney failure, Tumil-K powder can be given.
- Liver supplements: In case of liver problems, the supplements Zentonyl Advanced and Silycure can support liver function and prevent further liver damage.
- Pancreatic enzymes: In case of inflammation (pancreatitis) or insufficient functioning of the pancreas in cats, Panzym powder or Zymoral powder with every meal helps to digest the food better.
Stomach | IntestinesDiarrhea | Giardia | Hairballs | Obstipation | Vomiting | Probiotics
Skin | CoatHealthy skin and coat | Skin allergies
JointsJoint supplements | Arthrosis
Kidneys | Bladder | Urinary tractBladder stones | Urinary tract infection | Kidney failure
Nervous systemAnxiety | Stress | Dementia | Epilepsy
EarsClean ears | Ear mites | Ear infection
EyesClean eyes | Eye infection
TeethTeeth cleaning | Dental care
Immune systemVitamins | Minerals
Pain | InflammationPainkillers | Anti inflammatory
HeartHeart failure | Heart medication
LiverLiver disease | Liver supplements
Lungs | AirwaysCoughing | Dyspnea
PancreasPancreatitis | Diabetes mellitus